Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An Investment

I recently procured the help of a personal trainer after joining a gym about 2 miles from my house. I was so happy to find this gym, KO (Knock-Out) Fitness. During my college days at WVU, I was a member of Gold's Gym for several months my freshman year. It eventually closed down. I wasn't a member of any gym for a couple years - where did I work out? I can't remember, those times were a blur. I never gained the Freshman 15 but soon after moving into an apartment the weight started to creep up. Anyway, I loved Gold's Gym and KO Fitness reminds me of it a bit. The staff at KO is friendly and helpful, they remember my name! What a concept. People are there to WORK OUT, not grabass and socialize, which is the main thing I disliked about 24 Hour Fitness - the gym I was most recently a member of when I lived in Anaheim Hills.

My new membership came with a complimentary personal training session. I have worked with two other personal trainers and this was the first time I felt this person truly had an interest in helping me reach my goals and was completely capable to doing so. I signed up for 6 months of training 2 times a week. It is a fair chunk of change but I am happy to spend the money on something so important. My personal trainer has pointed out mistakes in form that I would have never noticed or thought of on my own, even in front of a mirror. For example, I have done hundreds of squats over the years and never realized I wasn't getting the full benefit of the exercise. The workouts are hard but I have confidence I'll become stronger. I now actually look forward to going to the gym again. Next, I'm going to tackle the kickboxing classes. So far my cardio has been the elliptical machine because I'm still a bit intimidated by the kickboxing. I plan on getting my boxing gloves Friday on my day off, watch out world!

No comments:

Post a Comment